I’m a PhD graduate of Imperial College London with 7 years teaching experience within the field of geoscience. My research has focused on non-destructive methodologies, employing novel techniques (e.g. synchrotron radiation), to elucidate the anatomical detail within fossil flora—leading to a better understanding of the evolutionary developments and past ecosystems while maximising recoverable data.
PhD & DIC | 2010–2016 | Imperial College London
- Thesis Title: “Multiple Approaches in Tomography of Palaeobotanical Specimens” specializing in non-destructive sampling techniques and 3D modeling of acquired dataset for the advancement of palaeobotanical taxonomy.
- Supervisor: Dr. Mark D. Sutton (Imperial College London); Additional supervisor: Dr. Jason Hilton (University of Birmingham)
BSc (Hons) | 2003–2006 | University of Birmingham
- Degree: Geology & Archaeology JH
- Class: 2:1
Lecturer (external) | Imperial College London | Oct 2014–Jul 2017
- Lecture on the Graphics and Statistics for Geoscientists course with responsibility for designing, delivering, and examining the Graphics portion.
- Staff member on both the 1st Year and 2nd Year geology field courses to Spain.
Trustee and Council Member | The Palaeontological Association | Dec 2013–Present
- Internet Officer on Council for The Palaeontological Association and international charity based in the UK promoting the advanced of palaeontological research and allied sciences.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) | Imperial College London | Oct 2009–Sep 2014
- GTA for a variety of courses at undergraduate level. These included: Structural Geology 1, Field geology 1, Life and Earth History, Stratigraphy and Life, Palaeontology, Introduction to Field Geology, Graphics and Statistics for Geoscientists, Pyrenees field course, Southern Spain field course.
Consultant | Self-Employed | Sep 2006–Jul 2017
- Designer/maintainer of the custom departmental VLE and administrative student/staff database (ESESIS) for the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London.
Deputy manager (Dairy) | Secrets Ltd. | Sep 2002–Sep 2003
- Food retailer at the Secrets Farm Shop, Milford, in charge of the dairy counters. Roles included day-to-day sales, stock ordering, producer and wholesale relationship coordination, and staff allocation.
Owner (Partner) | RT Web Design | Aug 1997–Mar 2006
- Small company specialising is internet website design, digitalisation of records, online databases. Clients included parish councils, estate agents, and local organisations.
Lecturing and teaching undertaken in the Department of Earth and Engineering at Imperial College London (2010-2017):
- 2014-present: Graphics and Statistics for Geoscientists (Lecturer)
- 2012-present: Year 2 Pyrenees field course (GTA/Lecturer)
- 2010-present: Year 1 Southern Spain field course (GTA/Lecturer)
- 2010-2014: Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) for the following geology courses:
Structural Geology 1, Field geology 1, Life and Earth History, Stratigraphy and Life, Palaeontology, Introduction to Field Geology, Graphics and Statistics for Geoscientists
- The Palaeontological Association—Member (2005-present) and Internet Officer and Charitable Trustee (2013-present)
- The International Organisation of Palaeobotany—Member (2006-present), Internet Officer (2006-2016)
- The Linnaean Society of London—Fellow (2010–present)
- Botanical Society of America—Member (2014–present)
- Remote Sensing & Photogrammetry Society—Member (2017–present)